Site vitals

pkasting · 2 replies

Site vitals
pkasting
18 years ago
Oct 19, 2005 - 3:38am
So I've been wondering (since I'm nosy) how much traffic this site does in a month, what it costs you guys to maintain it, and if you'd thought about some sort of commercial applications of it or something. I admit this is prompted a bit by my reading the IMDb anniversary articles of late, detailing its rise from one guy's hobby project into a database that's a vital tool of the film industry itself.

If BandToBand ever became a company I might consider applying for a research position :D
Not That Much
Kevin
18 years ago
Oct 19, 2005 - 6:25am
Honestly the site doesn't get as much traffic as one might expect. It seems that not everyone needs to know what new bands they've never heard of have made it into the system on a daily basis. Let's put it this way, the Google ads makes enough money per week to purchase a bottle of soda. Almost. Honestly I keep them there because I don't know what else to put in their place.

As for commercial applications there is that potential in terms of licensing membership connectivity info to large CD retailers such as Amazon or iTunes. "Did you know that members of X played in Y?" This won't happen for some time however as we simply do not have a large enough volume of data to make it marketable. It will be some time before that is a possibility.

There have been a few questions into pure research possibilities with the data, network analysis and the like. The sociograms are examples into that sort of field but as of yet nothing has been definitively proposed so for now it's the same old, same old. Just keep working on making the site bigger and better.

If (and that's a big if) it ever does become a company I certaintly know where I'll begin the interview process.

Kevin
···
pkasting
18 years ago
Oct 19, 2005 - 6:58am
Yeah, I'd think the site would probably need to be at least 6 or 7 times as big as it is now before it'd start having serious commercial possibilities.

Well back to work I guess :P
© BandToBand.com
Mapping the Rock 'N Roll genome since 2005