Forums / General Discussion / Rule 3 Question

Rule 3 Question

kribbit · 2 replies

Rule 3 Question
kribbit
17 years ago
Nov 14, 2006 - 11:47pm
.An official recording is defined as a studio production or an official live audience recording released publicly under the band's name or featured on a compilation.

So a self-released production can count if it was produced in a studio and available to the public as opposed to someone's garage with a taperecorder and being sold out of someone's car trunk?

Just checking because I think I have a new band that qualifes for a real entry and has a connection to a band member already in the database.
···
misterpomp
17 years ago
Nov 15, 2006 - 5:48pm
Either of those count. The reference to 'studio' is an anachronistic throwback to a time when the rules excluded live albums. Your kitchen, garage or Air Studios in Monserrat are all equal here at b2b.

Where you sell it (or give it away - it doesn't have to be sold) or even whether it's digitally transmitted has no bearing. That part of the rule is (mostly) meant to exclude demos that were never intended by the band to be heard by anyone apart from (say) themselves, their management & record company.
···
kribbit
17 years ago
Nov 15, 2006 - 9:07pm
Awesome, thanks. Just getting the last of the details plus some reference sources and I will add it.
© BandToBand.com
Mapping the Rock 'N Roll genome since 2005