Pete Frame

Matt Westwood · 2 replies

Pete Frame
Matt Westwood
18 years ago
Aug 11, 2005 - 5:54am
I've mentioned this Pete Frame geezer quite a bit nowadays - he's the man who pioneered the concept of Rock Family Trees.

Anyway, here's a link to a site containing an extract of one of his rock family trees, in case anyone's interested ...

[www.angelfire.com]

An interesting taster ...
Frame
Kevin
18 years ago
Aug 11, 2005 - 5:17pm
His method of laying things out is great for that Chronological page I was trying to get to work a couple of months ago:
[bandtoband.com]

Here's another similiar example that's really nice:
[megadeth.rockmetal.art.pl]

Sadly since both of those are done by hand they are able to bypass the primary problem of generating a similiar layout on the fly so that the webserver can make them for any band. If anyone has an idea on how to get that to work, feel free to let me know.

Kevin
···
pkasting
18 years ago
Aug 12, 2005 - 7:46am
The Megadeth one sort of gives me an idea.

If you want to show sequential lineups, you could perhaps try to do it like this (edit: ASCII art attempts deleted -- the variable-width font here screws me over, argh). Display the albums in a vertical column on the left, labeled and dated. Beside each album (or set of albums with identical membership maybe??) put the member list on that album (those albums). For each member that is present on the next album, draw a line connecting them to an arrow pointing down to the next album. (If no members are common -- which does happen, though I don't know if it does in the current database -- no arrow is drawn at all).
© BandToBand.com
Mapping the Rock 'N Roll genome since 2005