Nicknames

misterpomp · 6 replies

Nicknames
misterpomp
18 years ago
Apr 28, 2005 - 7:22am
I like the adherence, where possible, to real names but just wondered if, for clarity, the nickname ought to be highlighted; e.g The Wildhearts feature David Ginger Smith and Maurice Bam Ross at the moment: might that be better as David Smith aka 'Ginger' and Maurice Ross aka 'Bam'. As they're currently written, a casual observer might not realise that and even David 'Ginger' Smith might make the reader think the nickname and surname are normally conjoined to give this musician's stage name. Sorry, I must have a lot of time on my hands!
···
Matt Westwood
18 years ago
Apr 28, 2005 - 8:04am
That's why I favour the idea of sticking the nickname in between the first and surname, and sticking it in quotes - it makes it look more obvious.

- Matt 'Anal' Westwood
Re: Nicknames
Mark
18 years ago
Apr 28, 2005 - 2:26pm
You can see the new style of how we're going to deal with nicknames at

[bandtoband.com]

As Kevin said in the Announcement forum, you'll be able to search the tree on the person's real or stage name, but the stage name info will only display when it actually applies (e.g., John Lydon was not known as Johnny Rotten in Public Image Limited: [bandtoband.com] ).

Unfortunately for us, we now have to go back to every entry (including all 8 of Jan Stenfors / Nasty Suicide's albums, all of Gus G.'s albums, etc.) and update the name listings. To save us time and to make sure we're focusing on the "important" names first, feel free to use this thread to let us know which stage names we need to update. Also, while I have everyone's attention (or do I?), we recently began including the release year in the album entries, so feel free to include that when you're submitting additions.
Exactly
misterpomp
18 years ago
Apr 28, 2005 - 4:37pm
That style is perfect .... now I'm only two steps behind you .....
Re: Exactly
Mark
18 years ago
Apr 28, 2005 - 4:58pm
And just because I love you all so much, I took care of these guys right away.

[bandtoband.com]
[bandtoband.com]

I'm not looking forward to the dozens of others still waiting...
Nicknames
KateUK
18 years ago
Apr 28, 2005 - 5:47pm
That's great!

Kate
···
pkasting
18 years ago
Apr 30, 2005 - 7:16am
Man, I have to find a way to link Whiteheart (a.k.a. White Heart) in here, just so I can get their lead singer Rick Florian in. He was listed with a different spelling of his first name on nearly every album (on purpose). Some of the later ones got really silly, like "Rikq Florian".
© BandToBand.com
Mapping the Rock 'N Roll genome since 2005