Forums / General Discussion / Multiband comps

Multiband comps

bgzimmer · 6 replies

Multiband comps
bgzimmer
18 years ago
Jan 1, 2006 - 8:18pm
In the case of a multiband comp like "June 1, 1974", would it make sense to list all of the contributing band/artist names as they appear on the cover, joined by connectors (i.e., "Kevin Ayers · John Cale · Eno · Nico")? I had been hoping this album would be considered a collaboration with connectivity like "Beck · Bogert · Appice"-- but even if it's not, it would be nice if it were displayed similarly. That way it wouldn't appear to be an "Eno" album (under "Eno") and so forth.
···
pkasting
18 years ago
Jan 2, 2006 - 1:09am
I don't know anything about that album, but if it's not a collaboration and is just a compilation, then it seems like displaying it the way we display collaborations would be more confusing than helpful.
···
Matt Westwood
18 years ago
Jan 2, 2006 - 11:12am
June 1, 1974 is a strange beast. Thinking about it, I'd classify it as a collaboration rather than a compilation. It was a gig in which 4 artists all played a set with basically the same backing band, and although mainly organised by Kevin Ayers, all four (and their band) were part of the collaborative process. It's a collaboration in my mind, perhaps it ought to be entered as such.
···
bgzimmer
18 years ago
Jan 3, 2006 - 4:57am
I agree with Matt! At the very least, it's nothing like other albums entered as multiband comps (say, "Flex Your Head").
···
pkasting
18 years ago
Jan 3, 2006 - 6:25pm
Still sounds like a compilation to me, but whatever.
Collaboration
Kevin
18 years ago
Jan 5, 2006 - 9:01pm
We've been handling these as collaborations. This would have the title of "June 1, 1974." Here's an example of the same thing:

[bandtoband.com]

Kevin
···
Mark
18 years ago
Jan 6, 2006 - 4:43am
We're fixing this one right now, but it's a bit tricky. Anything involving Nico might look odd for a bit.
© BandToBand.com
Mapping the Rock 'N Roll genome since 2005