Longest links

bgzimmer · 14 replies

Longest links
bgzimmer
18 years ago
Nov 3, 2005 - 6:58am
I see that The Hunt now has the longest links -- 29, to a number of bands. I think we can make it an even 30 by adding Dillinger, which shares Paul Cockburn and Jacques Harrison with The Hunt...

Dillinger, "Don't Lie to the Band" (1976, Daffodil)
Terry Bramhall
Paul Cockburn
Bob Harrison
Jacques Harrison
[jam.canoe.ca]
[www.allmusic.com]

Actually, I'm a fan of shorter links, not longer ones! So I hope this number can come down soon.
···
Python
18 years ago
Nov 3, 2005 - 7:22am
I already submitted that album :-)
A couple of albums later through Offenbach and April Wine we're back at Bachman-Turner Overdrive so the longest link should come down.
···
bgzimmer
18 years ago
Nov 4, 2005 - 10:01pm
Good gravy-- now with the Buzz Band the longest link is up to 32, two steps beyond Dillinger! But since the band is still in the general BTO orbit, I guess the number will come down soon enough.

[ETA: ...aaaand the number is already down. The links from the Buzz Band only go up to 26 or so. So what's the longest link now?]
···
pkasting
18 years ago
Nov 5, 2005 - 4:08am
Hard to say, the stats page hasn't updated yet. Kevin, how often does that run? Nightly?
···
bgzimmer
18 years ago
Nov 5, 2005 - 8:29am
I guess we're back where we started -- 29 from The Hunt to Ann Beretta et al. I don't see anything longer.
···
Python
18 years ago
Nov 5, 2005 - 9:59am
Yeah, it looks like the stats need to be reset or something.
Stats Updates
Kevin
18 years ago
Nov 5, 2005 - 9:30pm
I have to update most of the stats by hand because they are too intensive to do more than once a week or so. To do the Jordan Centers and the like it take over an hour for the server to calculate everything and I don't like sucking down all the server's memory to do that very often. A number of stats are updated in real time, such as the Most Central Band ones, as well as the longest link but only if that number goes up. If the longest link number goes down I have to reset it by hand because I can't have the machine trying to calculate that thing every time a new album (and possible shortcut) is added to the system.

Kevin
···
pkasting
18 years ago
Nov 5, 2005 - 10:29pm
So as bgzimmer said, the path between The Hunt and Ann Beretta seems to contain 29 steps, but the longest link on the stats page is 26. Does that also mean that The Hunt is a more distant band than Buzz Band?
If the longest link goes down....
Python
18 years ago
Nov 6, 2005 - 3:59pm
You can reset the longest known link to zero if someone does a search for the longest known link and the result doesn't match the length in the database anymore....
···
pkasting
18 years ago
Nov 6, 2005 - 10:52pm
I would suggest putting a "Last updated <date>" on the stats page, or adding "(as of <date>)" after "Statistics" on the sidebar, or something like that. That makes it clear when the stats were known to be accurate.
Stats
Kevin
18 years ago
Nov 7, 2005 - 6:11am
Python:
That would be the correct thing to do, but is going to take some wrangling as the linking script is being run through a daemon (ie the data is not being taken from the database) as I'd like to keep the database transaction overhead to a minium to keep everything speedy on the site. I'd have to build that auto checking into the daemon which gets nasty quickly. Next time I get my hands dirty with that guy I'll see what I can do.

PK:
There is now a "Last updated" note on the Stats page.

Kevin
···
Python
18 years ago
Nov 15, 2005 - 7:13pm
FYI: the stats are outdated again; longest link = 28.
Shrinkage
bgzimmer
18 years ago
Jan 30, 2006 - 9:08am
Now that the link from The Hunt to Rilo Kiley is down to 25, what's the longest? Mitch's Infydels to Max Webster (or to The Hunt) still has 26.
Updating
Kevin
18 years ago
Feb 2, 2006 - 12:16am
I've updated the longest link and am running the stats program now.

Kevin
···
Python
18 years ago
Feb 19, 2006 - 7:33pm
The shortest link between Living Sacrifice and Rilo Kiley is 27. However, the link between Living Sacrifice's "The Hammering Process" and Rilo Kiley is 28. Since the longest link is between Living Sacrifice and Rilo Kiley, what is the correct number of links; 27 or 28?
© BandToBand.com
Mapping the Rock 'N Roll genome since 2005