Forums / General Discussion / Linking bands doesn't work on...

Linking bands doesn't work on some PC's...

Python · 6 replies

Linking bands doesn't work on some PC's...
Python
18 years ago
Jun 5, 2005 - 11:15am
I was just wondering if you guys know of any Internet Explorer or FireFox settings that have to be enabled in order for this site to work properly...
On my PC linking bands works just fine but my dad's PC refuses to link bands by clicking on them. He always gets a messages that no results were found. Linking bands by typing their names, does work; clicking on two band names doesn't work. Any ideas?
Re: clicking
Mark
18 years ago
Jun 5, 2005 - 2:54pm
The usual problem when you can't link by clicking is that your browser has been set to disable javascript. It should be pretty easy to enable javascript somewhere in the Tools->Options section of either browser. That should do the trick. There are probably a few other ways (maybe a super-old version of IE?) that the problem could arise, but check on the javascript settings first.
···
Python
18 years ago
Jun 5, 2005 - 7:31pm
I'm afraid that's not it. JS is enabled and it's the very latest version of IE (or Firefox for that matter); WinXP SP2. Anyway, everything works fine by using the option to type in the names of the bands so it's not really a big problem.
Hmmm
Kevin
18 years ago
Jun 6, 2005 - 12:18am
Marks suggestion of turning on javascript usually resolves the issue but if it doesn't in this case, it doesn't. I've actually just changed the functionality a bit in getting the Create Maps box to work properly so you may want to give it another try (although the functionality hasn't changed so greatly as to probably correct the situation). I've tested everything in both Firefox and Safari but don't have access to Windows/IE right now so I can't test out the situation. If anyone else is having a similiar issue let me know and I'll try working on a solution. Thanks.

Kevin
Same problem...
KateUK
18 years ago
Jun 6, 2005 - 8:38pm
I always get the same problem on my work PC, I just assumed that javascrip wasn't enabled on it, and as we are not supposed to change stuff on the work PCs I just kind of ignored it and did that stuff at home.

I will give it another try at work when I remember.
···
Python
18 years ago
Jun 11, 2005 - 10:37pm
I finally found what the problem was: popup killers. More specifically: the popup killer in Norton Internet Security. For some reason, NIS categorized clicking on a band name as opening a popup screen.
Popup Killers
KateUK
18 years ago
Jun 13, 2005 - 6:05am
That's odd because I have Norton at home, with popup killers, and the site works fine. On my work PC, no Norton, no popup killers of any sort, but it will only work by typing the names in the boxes, not by clicking on the links.
© BandToBand.com
Mapping the Rock 'N Roll genome since 2005