Forums / General Discussion / Levels of sophistication

Levels of sophistication

Matt Westwood · 2 replies

Levels of sophistication
Matt Westwood
18 years ago
Aug 12, 2005 - 6:04am
So ... you've got an ordinary link, whereby a member plays in a band ... would it be possible to add "links" of different levels (i.e. "weaker" links), to indicate such things as:
(a) Split albums (so you'd link e.g. Alternative TV and Here & Now using such a link)
(b) Band collaborations (so you'd link Sutherland Brothers & Quiver using such a link)
(c) Playing on an LP as a guest

... the list may go on!

I concede that this is a major paradigm shift - but in time, as this website becomes the main repository of all information rock 'n' roll, it may become useful ...
···
pkasting
18 years ago
Aug 12, 2005 - 7:53am
I'd be inclined to vote against this, honestly.

Adding various different link levels like this provides little additional "immediate" information users can't see from just looking at the linked items, but it increases the confusion on users' part ("what are all these colors? WTF?"), and the workload for submitters/editors, by a nontrivial amount.
Maybe fun to have...
ajweitzman
18 years ago
Aug 12, 2005 - 1:38pm
...but it would *have* to be optional. So you could either do a "strong" tree, or one that includes "weaker" links such as what you describe. I'd also want to be able to turn on/off each type of link (guest appearances OK, split records not, etc.)

On the other hand, it would sure be a pain to add just the guest info to the 5238 (and counting) albums already in the tree. And honestly, I don't think it's something I'd personally use very much.
© BandToBand.com
Mapping the Rock 'N Roll genome since 2005