Forums / General Discussion / Legal names in maps/connection...

Legal names in maps/connections

bgzimmer · 7 replies

Legal names in maps/connections
bgzimmer
18 years ago
Jan 1, 2006 - 8:27pm
I brought this up in the middle of the "Legal Name : Credited Name" thread, but I thought I'd give it its own topic in case anyone wants to discuss it...

I wrote:
One thing that bothers me about the <Legal Name:"Credited Name"> arrangement is that the Legal Name is the default that pops up in the band-to-band maps. Would it be possible to use the Credited Name in the map view? It's a little annoying to see "Hugh Clegg" or "John Mellor" in a map instead of those artists' more recognizable names.

Mark wrote:
BGZ, I've thought about your suggestion many times, but there are quite a few people with multiple stage names. In going from one record to the next, the program would have to pick one, but which would be correct?

I wrote:
OK, how about this... if the Credited Name is the same for the two albums that a linking artist appears on, then the map would show the Credited Name. So the Cream to Yardbirds map would link via "Eric Clapton" since that's how he's credited on both bands' releases. If the Credited Name doesn't match on the two linked albums, then the map could revert to the default Legal Name. Or would that be too difficult to implement?

Now I add:
I would make a similar suggestion for names listed under an album's connections. If "Give 'Em Enough Rope" lists "Joe Strummer" as a member, then why not list that instead of "John Mellor" in the list of connections?
I agree
misterpomp
18 years ago
Jan 1, 2006 - 11:27pm
If it's too much hassle to get into "if this,then that .." then a simple Legal Name||Credited Name1||Credited Name 2|| etc etc format could be applied to all such circumstances.
···
pkasting
18 years ago
Jan 2, 2006 - 1:11am
I think I agree with misterpomp, although I'm not sure if I understand what he's saying. If I've got it right, he's suggesting that we just display any connecting artist as "Legal Name : Credited Name 1 : etc." where the credited names are the union of all credited names for that legal name on both sides of the connection in question. That's what I'd go for.
Aliases In Maps
Kevin
18 years ago
Jan 9, 2006 - 11:52pm
I've implemented the use of aliases in band mappings so long as the alias is used on both sides of the link. For example, a search from
The Clash
to
Joe Strummer And The Mescaleros
includes the artist "Joe Strummer" although that is an alias for John Mellor. An alias is not used in the cases where the aliase is not matched on either side of the link. For example, a search from
The Clash
to
The 101ers
includes the artist "John Mellor" as his alias is not consistant across the albums ("Joe Strummer" != "Woody Mellor").

As for the suggestion of listing the alias in the artist connections on an album page, I don't think it is appropriate for the reason that the alias may not always be conistant across all albums for the artist. For example, on the album page "Give 'Em Enough Rope," it would incorrect to list the connections for anyone other than John Mellor as he appears as "Joe Strummer" on certain records an as "Woody Mellor" on another. The only true constant in this case is the true name of John Mellor so that is the one to be used.

Kevin
···
pkasting
18 years ago
Jan 10, 2006 - 8:03am
Hmm. I guess this is better than what came before. I think misterpomp's/my suggestion still seems superior (and could be done consistently for the artist connections on an album page, as well).

An alternate display format for the alias case could be to display the alias for the "upper" band above the alias used with the "lower" band instead of on the same line. This would make it more clear which alias went with which band. For additional clarity the artist's real name could probably be vertically centered. Imagine:

| ......A1
| RN - xx
| ......A2

...Except move A1 and A2 both inwards to eliminate the "xx" area. (And ignore the dots, used for spacing.)
···
bgzimmer
18 years ago
Jan 10, 2006 - 11:10am
I like the new system. I don't think it's necessary to list every credited name of an artist, as this could get unwieldy in some cases (Donald Hanson Marvin Kerr Richards Jr. : Junior Hanson : Junior Marvin : Junior Kerr, anyone?).
···
pkasting
18 years ago
Jan 10, 2006 - 6:13pm
No, I don't think anyone wants to see every credited name. That wouldn't add any value. The thing I was looking for was to not LOSE the legal name or any other relevant data. misterpomp (I think) and I wanted to see any credited names from both sides of the current link. So any artist would show up with, at most, two credited names.
Noted
Kevin
18 years ago
Jan 12, 2006 - 3:52am
I'll keep that suggestion of including the aliased name in mind. I'm really backlogged with B2B and non-B2B stuff right now until at least the end of the month, so I can't address it immediately but I'll keep it listed on my To Do list to at least consider.

Kevin
© BandToBand.com
Mapping the Rock 'N Roll genome since 2005