Forums / General Discussion / Just wondering...

Just wondering...

Python · 3 replies

Just wondering...
Python
18 years ago
Sep 10, 2005 - 8:36pm
How much of the bands you've submitted do you actually know? I've submitted dozens of bands I hadn't even heard of before.

For example: I was trying to figure out how I could get Angra in the database. I actually came up with a connection pretty quickly but by doing so, I also came across a whole bunch of Brazilian bands I had never heard about but that are all linked to Angra.

Or sometimes I want to submit as much Belgian bands as possible (a little chauvinism never hurt anybody). Most of the time that leads to a whole bunch of Dutch bands as well so I think I've submitted more Dutch bands than Belgian bands so far.

Anybody else?
···
pkasting
18 years ago
Sep 10, 2005 - 10:57pm
I've submitted more bands I don't know than bands I do know, but I spent a lot of time trying to link bands I liked into the database, so there are quite a few of those. Before I kinda stopped submitting updates, though, I was starting to go through bnrmetal.com and just submit everything, which was kinda crazy.
Yeah, I do the same ...
Matt Westwood
18 years ago
Sep 11, 2005 - 9:39am
I started on the Canterbury scene and from there got into a whole load of stuff from the contemporary jazz scene. All of which looks fascinating but I don't know from Adam.

Another technique is to pick on a particular artist and milk them to death. This occasionally throws up extraordinary surprises.

Not to mention the local scene from the town where I live - but so far only really managed to get Epona, Pressgang and (peripherally) Arena - but then from there arose the link from IQ (neo-prog) to Slaughter and the Dogs (70s punk) that I would never have dreamed of.
Depends
ajweitzman
18 years ago
Sep 12, 2005 - 3:24am
I think, more often than not, I've submitted bands I know. I feel like the data is more reliable that way. When I read something on a particular website about a band I know, I can tell how accurate the information is, and whether I can trust the site.

That said, there have been a couple of times when, in order to get a particular band in, I've gone into a string of bands I didn't have a lot of familiarity with.
© BandToBand.com
Mapping the Rock 'N Roll genome since 2005