Iced Earth

Python · 2 replies

Iced Earth
Python
18 years ago
Aug 13, 2005 - 10:19am
I'd like to submit some additional Iced Earth albums, mainly because drummer Brent Smedley also played in a band Oracle that's not in the db yet. However, some of the Iced Earth line-ups are rather "unclear". They've released an album called "Days of Purgatory" which is basically a collection of old songs that were partly re-recorded. For some songs, the vocals were re-recorded, for others the drum and bass parts were re-recorded. This leads to songs that consist of parts that were recorded by people who never were in the band at the same time.
How would you guys handle a situation like this?

Brent Smedley plays on their live album "Alive in Athens" which was released about a year after it had been recorded. By that time Smedley had been fired from the band; he's credited as a guest musician along with the keyboard player (who was a REAL guest musician). Does he still count as a band member or not?
Re: Iced Earth madness
Mark
18 years ago
Aug 15, 2005 - 1:52pm
For "Days Of Purgatory" I would include the original lineups in their intact form and then add another lineup consisting of the band members that participated in re-recording the older tracks. That way the band lineups are preserved correctly and there are no false shortcuts. This seems like the best approach to me, but I'm open to other ideas.

"Alive In Athens" is a bit troublesome. We like to avoid contradicting a band's vision of who was a member of the band, but this retroactive guest-ifying seems to occur a lot. I think we usually deal with it by recognizing the band as it was during the recording of the album. Again, if anyone has thoughts on this approach, please feel free to share them.
···
pkasting
18 years ago
Aug 16, 2005 - 6:50am
I have no problems with recognizing someone as a "member" and not a "guest" when it seems apparent the distinction has been made retroactively, and the band wouldn't have responded the same way at the time.

Or, to put it in a more consistent fashion, I _do_ want to trust the band's view -- I want to trust what we can figure out was the band's view AT THE TIME, not later on when they feel differently.
© BandToBand.com
Mapping the Rock 'N Roll genome since 2005