Forums / General Discussion / How far the internet's come

How far the internet's come

Matt Westwood · 2 replies

How far the internet's come
Matt Westwood
8 years ago
Jul 25, 2015 - 9:20am
Ten years ago when I was scrabbling around for a way to get some friends of mine Epona onto the db, the only way it could be done was via a chain of obscure bands from Magazine. The task was challenging, especially as I had only a dial-up modem at the time.

This was before the days of such important resources as discogs and wikipedia, and the only things we could use were either fan sites or record company websites.

Oh so different nowadays, where everything is documented in considerable detail practically everywhere you go, and the aforementioned link to Epona is now trivially straightforward via all sorts of links, all neatly documented on the internet.

I suppose we can take a bow that bandtoband was one of the first of these resources to really get going.
···
Mark
8 years ago
Jul 26, 2015 - 1:43am
Now we just have to get you in the database.
···
Bloopy
8 years ago
Aug 14, 2015 - 3:38am
Should be no trouble getting most of those old queue entries published now eh! I remember before Google, having an arsenal of 5+ preferred search engines to choose from.

I was inspired to add myself to the sandbox recently. It got me thinking about how much music has been lost to time. There's a hundred thousand or more mp3.com pages (circa 2000-2002) archived in the Internet Archive, and mine's not even in there. Some of the mp3s I hoarded were from bands who offered up no other information whatsoever, and in some cases still no info has come to light.

I had been planning to finish off at least a couple of solo albums before I consider collaborating with anyone. The BandToBand Band would be my first way in.
© BandToBand.com
Mapping the Rock 'N Roll genome since 2005