Forums / General Discussion / Ethics In Band Linking?

Ethics In Band Linking?

Mark · 4 replies

Ethics In Band Linking?
Mark
19 years ago
Apr 25, 2005 - 1:27pm
This is inspired by Kevin's "I'll Actually Pay Money For This One" post on the Research group. A little while back, a white supremacy band ( [bandtoband.com] ) made its way into the tree. That band could probably connect the tree to lots of other racist bands and, despite our usual goal of getting as many bands as possible into the tree, Kevin and I were not very comfortable with that thought.

I would like to know what everyone thinks about including bands/music that are obvious instruments of racial hatred and oppression. Should we avoid them entirely? Should we treat them the same as everything else?
···
Python
19 years ago
Apr 25, 2005 - 3:52pm
I'm pretty sure that a lot of black metal bands that are already in the database are as racist as any other white supremacy band out there. I can understand your concern but some of the Scandinavian lyrics of bands currently in the tree are probably extremely shocking but since we don't understand it we don't make a big deal out of it. So I'd say: let them in, regardless of the message they're trying to spread.
However, you could just avoid connecting to any of those bands if you come across one while doing your own research. But if someone sends you a link and all the information is valid I think you should allow the band in the tree.
Definitely include them
Matt Westwood
19 years ago
Apr 25, 2005 - 5:38pm
As I've said earlier in another context, my belief is that this site should be for documenting reality, however grim ...
Hmmmm
KateUK
19 years ago
Apr 25, 2005 - 7:04pm
Tricky question.
I don't like them, but if they exist and link in, you should probably include them. I suppose. You're not recommending them or promoting their music, and not advocating that people listen to them, and certainly not putting money into their pockets. If you exclude one type of band because you don't like their message, isn't that the thin end of the wedge? Would it then be so different to exclude other bands because you (that's a general "you", not aimed at anyone in particular) didn't like the sentiments they were writing about? What about bands supporting Communism? Religion of one kind or another? Or a pro-choice message? What about bands who "promote" or "glorify" drug taking? What about Steve Earle and some of his rather left-wing songs that upset a lot of Americans? (Yes I know he's not on the site - yet - but I might get him on, you never know!)
You *could* (in theory) then be in a situation of picking and choosing who to put in and who to leave out based on political message/religion/any other criteria.

The trouble is when you start making value judgements it all becomes subjective rather than objective and could get messy.

No way do I support racist or white supremacy sentiments, but I think if you veer from simply "documenting reality" as Matt puts it, you are opening up a whole can of worms for yourselves.

Kate
···
pkasting
18 years ago
Apr 28, 2005 - 6:09am
I agree with the others; I think bands should be linkable regardless of message. While it's your site and there is nothing morally wrong with excluding bands for whatever reason you feel like, I don't think there are positive results to be had from excluding bands whose messages you don't like. In fact, I think it can be interesting to find that a link between two bands happens to include a "racist" band in the middle.

Currently, I submit tons of bands whose message I find objectionable (as a Christian, I *really* do not agree with some black metal bands' lyrics or image, or their members' actions), but the bands exist, and I am not trying to promote their views but simply to add them to this site so it can include everything possible.
© BandToBand.com
Mapping the Rock 'N Roll genome since 2005