Forums / General Discussion / Biggest local tree

Biggest local tree

Matt Westwood · 16 replies

Biggest local tree
Matt Westwood
18 years ago
May 26, 2005 - 9:54pm
I'd be interested to find out which band has the most other bands within three links of it (that is, the biggest tree appearing on the page when you select it).

My contender for this prize would be Gong or Hawkwind (and when some of my submissions reach the top of the queue for insertion it'll get loads bigger).

Anyone beg to offer some even more connected bands?

Would it be possible for there to be added the count of the number of bands in this three-link radius of the selected band on the family-tree page?

There are a couple of minimally-connected bands (i.e. those who have only three bands within three links) - but which band has the most?
···
pkasting
18 years ago
May 27, 2005 - 11:38pm
Hmm, looks like Journey has a bigger tree than Gong (just estimating by sight).

Dunno what the longest thing I've encountered is. What makes me happy are bands where they've got a giant local tree, and I've submitted nearly all the bands in that tree :D
counting
Python
18 years ago
May 28, 2005 - 6:48am
If you copy the tree in your clipboard, then paste it in notepad, copy it again and paste it in Excel and finally sort the list, you can easily see the number of bands...

Anyway, I tried Journey and they have 260 bands in the tree, Gong has 258 bands. However, Savatage has 261.
Gong beats Journey ...
Matt Westwood
18 years ago
May 28, 2005 - 7:27am
... just as soon as b2b has finished installing the rest of the definitive list of the Canterbury bands I sent in a while ago. Hint, hint ...
···
Python
18 years ago
May 28, 2005 - 9:33am
Yeah, well, just wait until I've finished adding bands to the Savatage tree :grin:
···
Matt Westwood
18 years ago
May 29, 2005 - 3:34pm
Interestingly, both Gong and Savatage both connect to the same bunch of core bands.
Count 'em
Kevin
18 years ago
May 31, 2005 - 8:38pm
I've added a count of related family tree bands to the family tree section so you guys don't have to suffer through pulling lists into Excel. The count does not include the root band, only bands appearing in the tree so for all the figures you listed below the count on the page will be one less.

Kevin
···
pkasting
18 years ago
Jun 1, 2005 - 1:19am
Nifty, but as nitpick, could you have it say "Local family tree" instead of "Family tree", or something like that? That was it's more immediately obvious that this is only the nearby bands, not all connected ones (which of course would be the whole DB).
···
Python
18 years ago
Jun 1, 2005 - 6:04am
Check out the tree count for Asia....
"Local" it is
Kevin
18 years ago
Jun 1, 2005 - 6:27am
> Nifty, but as nitpick, could you have it say "Local family tree" instead of "Family tree",

I certaintly can't fault someone for being anal about wording so "Local" it is.

Kevin
Deep Purple
misterpomp
18 years ago
Jun 1, 2005 - 7:04am
319; unsurprisingly large...
Re: Whitesnake
Mark
18 years ago
Jun 1, 2005 - 1:14pm
Whitesnake tops that by almost 100: 412. Who knew?
Bah, that's nothing ...
Matt Westwood
18 years ago
Jun 1, 2005 - 6:20pm
... Black Sabbath are at 432.
Oops, tell a lie ...
Matt Westwood
18 years ago
Jun 2, 2005 - 6:01am
... Black Sabbath are now up to 435 (thanx to 3 new bands linked to Family) ...
Woo-hoo!
misterpomp
18 years ago
Jun 8, 2005 - 3:58pm
Having watched in some ire as Black Sabbath consistently outstripped Uriah Heep but only just, I am slightly over-pleased with myself to have introduced a direct link to Stratus which brought a few other bands into the Heep's sphere of influence and therefore edged the Heep above the Sabs. All of which does seem to leave common member Bob Daisley as the man who most widely influences the rock 'n' roll genome!
... King Crimson coming up as a contender ...
Matt Westwood
18 years ago
Jun 15, 2005 - 9:30pm
452 in the local tree (as of now), Sabs 455, Heep 463 ... it could all change ...
© BandToBand.com
Mapping the Rock 'N Roll genome since 2005