Forums / General Discussion / Band or solo release?

Band or solo release?

Python · 3 replies

Band or solo release?
Python
14 years ago
Sep 2, 2010 - 9:45am
How do we handle this one?
[en.wikipedia.org]

The cover says Bruce Dickinson Skunkworks.
One spine says Bruce Dickinson, the other one says Skunkworks.
The linernotes say "Skunkworks are: ..."
I attended the Belgian show of the subsequent tour and when the band entered the stage, everyone was shouting "Bruce, Bruce!" but Dickinson made us stop shouting and said "This is not Bruce Dickinson, we are Skunkworks!".

According to the url above, the only reason Bruce's name is on the cover is because the label refused otherwise.
recorded by a band, released as a solo album.
shakinghell
14 years ago
Sep 2, 2010 - 11:41am
[www.discogs.com]
some images of a UK cd release confirms what you've already said.

the statement " the only reason Bruce's name is on the cover is because the label refused otherwise" suggests that Dickinson gets at least a partial credit. also, seems there was a band called Skunkworks, and there are 4 people pictured on the back (i think).

[cgi.ebay.com]
(LP packaging also shows 4 people)
[cgi.ebay.com]
(2 track sampler cd says "Bruce Dickinson... Taken from the forthcoming album Skunkworks")

don't think the packaging allows for a 'Skunkworks (released by Bruce Dickinson)' deal. the only possibility that would include Skunkworks is that this is a s/t album by Dickinson [cdot] Skunkworks, but i don't think anyone else would see it as anything but a Dickinson solo album.
···
Mark
14 years ago
Sep 2, 2010 - 2:50pm
I agree. It's not looking positive, but perhaps there is some possibility with more evidence. Here's our first discussion of this and a similar album:

[www.bandtoband.com]

See also [www.bandtoband.com]
···
Python
14 years ago
Sep 2, 2010 - 6:02pm
Wow, I didn't even remember I wrote that back then.
I just ripped that album again today since I'm getting rid of all my mp3's because I'm all into FLAC now.
© BandToBand.com
Mapping the Rock 'N Roll genome since 2005