!!!

scott · 8 replies

!!!
scott
18 years ago
Mar 3, 2006 - 3:39am
Not only is that how i feel, but that is one of the 100s of Sacramento-based bands that i will now be able to add, thanks to finally figuring out that the Lil Bunnies (a joke hardcore band that sang about rabbits) can finally get me where i need. I have been working on this link for a couple months now.
···
bgzimmer
18 years ago
Mar 5, 2006 - 8:39am
!!! is a favorite among linguists, since the name is pronounced according to the International Phonetic Alphabet, where an exclamation point represents an alveolar click -- basically a "tsk" sound. So it's tsk-tsk-tsk!

More here:
[ist-socrates.berkeley.edu]
···
scott
18 years ago
Mar 5, 2006 - 5:06pm
The band, being the punks that they are, say that the name can be pronounced using any three repetitive sounds. For one show, they all grew mustaches and introduced themselves as "stash stash stash". I booked their first tour, when nobody had heard of them, and trying to explain the name to people sucked. I would say they were called, "three exclamation marks, but not written out, just the symbols." It was a mouthful. Then i had to describe to a bunch of punk kids that they played funk (this was before that stuff caught on with the hipsters in Brooklyn.)
···
pkasting
18 years ago
Mar 5, 2006 - 9:29pm
Of course, being a programmer, I pronounce their name "bang bang bang".
···
Python
18 years ago
Mar 5, 2006 - 10:37pm
Did I miss something? I'm a programmer as well and I have absolutely no idea what you mean. I would say "not not not".
···
Mark
18 years ago
Mar 5, 2006 - 10:54pm
We always called "!" "bang" in Unix lingo, but in a Boolean context, I agree that "not" is more appropriate. I call the band "bang bang bang" as well.
Rubbish
Matt Westwood
18 years ago
Mar 6, 2006 - 6:34pm
As any self-respecting mathematician will tell you, it's "triple factorial": x(x-3)(x-6) ... etc. (till you get down to 3 or 2 or 1). ;-)
···
pkasting
18 years ago
Mar 6, 2006 - 8:14pm
OK, my bad on the "programmer" comment. It's true this is more of a UNIXism and in a C (or many other languages) context you'd use "not". However, since I am rarely forced to read C syntax out loud whereas quoting bits of UNIX commands seems common (to me), when I think of how to verbalize '!' I think of it as "bang".
···
scott
18 years ago
Mar 6, 2006 - 8:48pm
Dorks.
© BandToBand.com
Mapping the Rock 'N Roll genome since 2005