Forums / Feature Request / [x] Showing 2 or 3 degrees of...

[x] Showing 2 or 3 degrees of separation for a band

Bloopy · 19 replies

···
Bloopy
1 year ago
Jun 19, 2023 - 7:45pm
Sounds fine to add whatever upper bound suits. Perhaps hiding the feature for new accounts for a week or so would also reduce the risk.
200 Bands
Kevin
1 year ago
Jun 23, 2023 - 8:17pm
I've set an upper limit as to how many bands can be in 2 degrees to even allow a 3rd degree to be loaded. After running internal tests, there's no way to limit based on total number as the database query for the 3rd degree family tree is 99% of the slowdown and that query is either all or nothing. So I'm simply not going to run the query if there any more than 200 bands in the 2nd degree. For bands under that threshold I've managed to speed up the 3rd degree load so hopefully this will keep the server from getting overwhelmed.

I'm going to close out this thread but feel free to re-open if I haven't fully address all issues.

Kevin
···
Bloopy
1 year ago
Jun 24, 2023 - 2:20am
I'd just suggest removing the "(3rd degree unavailable)" text altogether. Better just to show features when they're available, rather than clutter pages with non-features that are unavailable.
Reasonable
Kevin
1 year ago
Jun 25, 2023 - 1:03pm
I was on the fence about including / not including the "unavailable" text. Since I could go either way with it, a second opinion is appreciated and I've taken it out.

It can be hard to understand why some bands load 3 degrees by default, other 2 degrees with an option for a 3rd, and others 2 degrees with no additional loading option, but it's a trade-off. I guess if a user is hardcore enough to notice the difference, they're probably hardcore enough to figure out why.

Kevin
© BandToBand.com
Mapping the Rock 'N Roll genome since 2005