Forums / Feature Request / [x] Forums: default to last pa...

[x] Forums: default to last page of thread

bgzimmer · 9 replies

[x] Forums: default to last page of thread
bgzimmer
1 year ago
Oct 12, 2022 - 9:20am
The old forums would default to the last (most recent) page of a multi-page thread -- like the RIPs threads. Would be nice to get that back instead of always being put on the first page.
Clarification
Kevin
1 year ago
Oct 12, 2022 - 9:23am
Just to clarify (sorry I don't remember this), would it go to the top of the last page, or the very last (latest) post on the last page?

Kevin
···
Bloopy
1 year ago
Oct 12, 2022 - 6:49pm
I don't remember this, and I'm not sure I'd actually expect threads to work that way. It could be confusing for new visitors who weren't around when the thread was started. What would be helpful is to have some pagination number links on the thread listing (like on the old forum, eg. "[Goto page: 1 ... 4, 5, 6 ]"):
[bandtoband.com]

Also it'd be fantastic if we could have a copy of the pagination numbers at the top of each thread page as well. Then when you open a particular thread page you can get a picture of where you are in the thread without scrolling to the bottom (although the contrast is not that obvious - a background colour on the current page no. would work well)
[bandtoband.com]
···
bgzimmer
1 year ago
Oct 12, 2022 - 9:42pm
Now I can't remember if clicking on the thread title would take you to the top of the last page or to the last post. Probably the latter? In any case, Bloopy's recommendations would help with the navigation.
···
Bloopy
1 year ago
Oct 13, 2022 - 12:26am
I thought it just took you to the start of the thread. Page here archived in 2017:
[web.archive.org]

The "2017 RIPs" link points to:
[www.bandtoband.com]

No 'start' parameter, just thread ID and session ID. Whereas the page 6 links gave us "&start=125" for example. So unless there was some function in the background that skips the user forward depending on some factor, I'm sure it just took you to the start of the thread. I think I would've noticed if I kept getting bounced to the last page every time I went back to old multi-page threads that I wanted to read from the beginning.
···
bgzimmer
1 year ago
Oct 13, 2022 - 6:54am
Ah, OK, I misremembered. I guess I was just used to clicking on the last page number.
Latest - Option
Kevin
1 year ago
Oct 14, 2022 - 1:47pm
Yes, clicking on the topic header will take you to Page 1 / Post 1.

However, try clicking on:

'Latest: bgzimmer · 2 days ago'

I just fixed it so that it should take you to the last page / latest post. Is that the functionality you were looking for?

Kevin
···
bgzimmer
1 year ago
Oct 15, 2022 - 2:00pm
That works for me! Bloopy had mentioned the old display of "[Goto page: 1 ... 4, 5, 6 ]" on multi-page threads, but I like this setup where you can go to the last post from the thread listing but there's also page navigation within the thread.
···
bgzimmer
1 year ago
Oct 17, 2022 - 11:13pm
A related problem now cropping up: When I enter a new post in a multi-page thread and then click "view your reply," it takes me to the first page and not the last one. (Just happened on the "2022 RIPs" thread.)
Fixed
Kevin
1 year ago
Oct 23, 2022 - 7:09pm
The 'View Your Reply' button should now take you to your post on the correct page of a multi-page thread.

Kevin
© BandToBand.com
Mapping the Rock 'N Roll genome since 2005