Bloopy · 10 replies

[x] Cover sizes
Bloopy
1 year ago
Nov 17, 2022 - 12:22am
I notice some covers are showing up small:
[bandtoband.com]
[bandtoband.com]

Including some non-square ones, where we've probably made a GIF sized to suit the old site:
[bandtoband.com]
[bandtoband.com]

And then there's my own one where 288x288 was about as good a size as I could get of it:
[bandtoband.com]

I'd suggest the following:

1. First let's wait until we get the ability to upload covers in the queue at all. However, could you change the text to "(preferred: 600 x 600 and up; min: 300 x 300)" or something like that? Just to future-proof it a bit. Also make the "Preview" box 600x600 in size (or take up almost entire width of mobile screen) so we can actually see if we're verifying an entry with a cover of decent quality. This was one of my biggest pet peeves about the old site.

2. A page that lists the smallest cover images on the site as a starting point for improving them. Once we can upload, then maybe a select few of us could get access to replace some of these, perhaps with the old cover automatically being moved to evidence.

I find this AI image upscaler surprisingly good as a last resort for making bigger versions of images that can't be found in decent size:
[waifu2x.udp.jp]
Good Ideas
Kevin
1 year ago
Nov 28, 2022 - 1:32pm
I've done half of this one, I've set up an admin page that will list the small covers. Check the wiki forum for the link.

Thanks.

Kevin
Stats
Kevin
1 year ago
Feb 9, 2023 - 10:34am
On album edit pages I've now listed the stats for the cover images beside the preview. Also you can now click on the preview to open the image to full size. Hopefully this helps.

Kevin
···
bgzimmer
1 year ago
Feb 10, 2023 - 7:49am
Cover uploading is working great! Evidence uploading next?
Yes Sir
Kevin
1 year ago
Feb 10, 2023 - 8:23am
Evidence uploading is certainly up next. Now that I've got (I hope) image / data storage sorted out, evidence should come along quicker than covers did.

Kevin
···
bgzimmer
1 year ago
Feb 28, 2023 - 2:35pm
Now that we can once again load cover images, I'm wondering how best to handle non-square images. Do we still need to create square GIF/PNG images filled out with transparent background, or will the new system take care of that for us?

(Also, hope we can add evidence soon!)
Non-Squares Are Preferred
Kevin
1 year ago
Mar 1, 2023 - 12:49pm
Now, non-squared images are preferred to building out a transparent image. The system will take care of the rest.

This is a non-squared image, centered, with the background square filled in with gray as a placeholder:

[bandtoband.com]

Kevin

Evidence is certainly on the list. Want to clean up some of the image help options then back to getting those uploads working.
···
Bloopy
1 year ago
Mar 1, 2023 - 4:58pm
I just corrected a couple of PNGs I'd made to non-square JPGs and looks like it's working great.

I posted about an error in the Wiki Wrangling section by the way - I figured it was better to post there for errors that the general public can't see.
Cool
Kevin
1 year ago
Mar 2, 2023 - 11:47am
Sounds good. Don't worry about which forum you post to for now I'll try and keep my eye on all of them the best I can.

Kevin
···
bgzimmer
1 year ago
Mar 4, 2023 - 12:22pm
BTW, love the cover image stats, but the info doesn't seem to show up for all queued entries, e.g. this one:

[bandtoband.com]

(That cover image also isn't clickable to get the original size.)
On The Way
Kevin
1 year ago
Mar 7, 2023 - 10:45am
I noticed that myself and already have the fix in which will go up when the next round of updates are loaded.

Kevin
© BandToBand.com
Mapping the Rock 'N Roll genome since 2005