Forums / Feature Request / Wacky spacing in local family...

Wacky spacing in local family tree

pkasting · 6 replies

Wacky spacing in local family tree
pkasting
18 years ago
May 31, 2005 - 3:18am
Check out the root of the local family tree for O S I:

[bandtoband.com]

For me it shows up
O S
I

This is pretty crazy. Can this be easily fixed?

Another strange issue visible in that same family tree is the large gap to the right of "Liquid Tension Experiment". I assumed this was because the sublevels all got aligned with each other, so the gap was due to a longer entry somewhere else in the tree... but looking at the other entries, it's clear that's not the case. Not sure what happened here.
Re: OSI
Mark
18 years ago
May 31, 2005 - 3:20am
It does the same for me. I noticed that earlier today.
Spacing
Kevin
18 years ago
May 31, 2005 - 8:49pm
Yeah, what is happening is that all the nested tables start to condense themselves once space is taken up. The problem is that the condensing begins on the far left tables and then moves across the board which is a function of the web browser not the HTML itself. It is the browser that tries to render all the information once it has been downloaded and handles the spacing. It would be possible for me to attempt to keep at least the initial band from not having to wrap but the problem is when you have an initial band with a very long name. That would also be excluded from wrapping and in the case of something like "Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow" that would fail to wrap and as a result would lose 40% or so of usable space. That is rather quite common and not allowing that band name to wrap should be avoided. In the case of OSI the easiest thing to do would be to change the name from "O S I" to "OSI" and the problem is solved. As a matter of fact I think that should be done anyway as all federal bereaus never have spaces in their abbriviations: FBI, CIA, IRS, DOJ, etc.

Kevin
Re: OSI
Mark
18 years ago
Jun 1, 2005 - 3:53am
Indeed, it WAS listed as O.S.I. (with no wrapping problem) until Monday, but a certain PK pointed out that O S I seemed to be a more accurate portrayal of the band name, and I agreed. I'll take out the spaces (unless Kevin's done it already).
···
Python
18 years ago
Jun 4, 2005 - 6:27am
Well, if you absolutely want spaces in the name O S I you can replace the spaces with a special ASCII character that looks like a space but isn't a space. Just try [alt]-0160. I don't know if that'll fool the web browsers but it's worth a shot.
···
pkasting
18 years ago
Jun 4, 2005 - 6:44pm
Probably better to replace them with something like " ". In other character encodings who knows what the high-ASCII characters will appear as.
···
Python
18 years ago
Jun 5, 2005 - 10:01am
On the other hand... if you put some exotic character in the name instead of a space it'll probably be impossible to find "OSI" using the Search Tree function.
© BandToBand.com
Mapping the Rock 'N Roll genome since 2005