Forums / Feature Request / [x] unknown artist

[x] unknown artist

bgzimmer · 4 replies

[x] unknown artist
bgzimmer
1 year ago
Mar 8, 2023 - 2:29pm
[bandtoband.com]

On this queued release, I entered " || David" for a member whose full name I don't know, and it got linked to the artist page for another "unknown":

[bandtoband.com]
···
bgzimmer
10 months ago
Jun 15, 2023 - 5:16pm
Bump. Just added another entry with a missing primary name and it got added to the same "unknown" artist.

[bandtoband.com]
Kevin
10 months ago
Jun 19, 2023 - 10:07am
The "unknown" artist, for weird historical reasons, got assigned a specific id at some point in the early development process and has been hardcoded to that value so that the system can use that stub value to run database queries against. I even have i locked into the code's configuration values:

// legacy artist_id for "unknown" artist with no name
'unknown_artist_id' => 4,

With that said, it really should't have a queued page, or should it? I can see not having the unknown artist link to other albums, but having that queued page might be a nice admin feature to see who is unknown in the queued system (there are no live entries with unknown artists any more).

Do you think this page should still exist? I do need to remove "unknown" from search results.

Kevin
···
bgzimmer
10 months ago
Jun 19, 2023 - 3:15pm
Wait, that id # is supposed to be for *all* unknown artists? Currently there are just 5 people associated with that artist id, and they've all been added since the migration to the new system. All the old unknowns are still lurking... but I see a problem with the older entries. Look at this one:

[bandtoband.com]
(I Am Havoc, s/t)

Harry x3 figured out some names in the old "unknown aliases" thread in Sept. 2022:
[bandtoband.com]

But the artists he mentioned don't show up in the usual entry display. Using my admin privileges, I can see the member list on the back end is still as it was before:

Martin Zinke||zigoR
Simon Flegler
||Dennis
||Jochen
||Thorsten

So all these old unknowns need to be displayed properly in the queued entries, and then we need to decide whether they should all have the same id #. With everyone included it might get a bit unwieldy, but I don't know if there's a preferable alternative.
···
bgzimmer
6 months ago
Oct 5, 2023 - 9:34am
Closing this thread since everything seems to be resolved now.

[bandtoband.com]
© BandToBand.com
Mapping the Rock 'N Roll genome since 2005