Forums / Feature Request / Statistics updates

Statistics updates

pkasting · 8 replies

Statistics updates
pkasting
18 years ago
May 8, 2006 - 3:02am
The statistics page says it was last updated March 14. We're rapidly closing in on two months since then, any chance of an update?

Also, it'd be nice to see a regularly-scheduled update to this page, however often it could happen and not overload the DB. cron jobs for the win.

Update: Wow, something is goofy. The stats page says the longest link is Mae to Twelve Hour Turn at 30 steps. Mapping the two puts the actual distance at 29 steps (so the stats page is indeed out of date, which I already knew). But then going to Twelve Hour Turn's page it says the max album distance is 25. So the band's stat page is wrong; I thought these were supposed to be kept up to date automatically? Does this indicate a problem in that system somewhere?
Updating
Kevin
18 years ago
May 10, 2006 - 11:52pm
Updating the stats is so system intensive that I don't like putting it in a cron job because I like to monitor it as it goes down. Also, I used to have the front page rotate its example in a cron but for some reason it would hang on something and sit there spinning its wheels for days. I could never figure out what was wrong with it so now I just do it by hand. With that said, you're right that the stats need to be updated more often. I need to be more on top of things.

I've removed the individual band statistics from the band pages. They really don't have much use and simply take up space so they've been dropped unless there is enough demand otherwise.

I'm updating the stats now.

Kevin
One vote for bringing back band stats
ajweitzman
18 years ago
May 11, 2006 - 2:12am
I found them quite illuminating, actually. I wouldn't be against leaving out the album-related stats and just putting back the band-related ones, though (since it is the band page, after all).
Which Exactly?
Kevin
18 years ago
May 11, 2006 - 5:35am
What are the album stats that you are refering to? There were 4 stats on the band page:

Average album distance
Average tree distance
Most distant band via albums
Most distant band via tree

Kevin
···
pkasting
18 years ago
May 11, 2006 - 6:07am
I also vote for bringing back the band statistics. I would like to see the two "via album" stats come back especially as those match the "link contains n steps" behavior of the create map box.
···
bgzimmer
18 years ago
May 11, 2006 - 6:57am
Another vote for bringing back the band stats! Useful, for instance, in looking for the longest current link (and seeing if the stats page is out of date or not!).
···
bgzimmer
18 years ago
May 11, 2006 - 5:42pm
I see band stats are back, or at least av. path length and max. (album?) distance. But how often do these stats get updated? For instance, for Buffalo Brothers it says that Mitch's Infydels has a distance of 32, but the map creator gives a path of only 25 steps. Seems like a pretty big discrepancy.
The People Have Spoken
Kevin
18 years ago
May 11, 2006 - 6:28pm
Okay, I've re-instated the statistics on the band pages although all the numbers are screwed up. I'm working on fixing those now too.

Kevin
Forced Updates
Kevin
18 years ago
May 13, 2006 - 6:46pm
The band page statistics are now being forced to be updated once a day so that no longer get cached and stale. Those should now never be more than 24 hours out of date.

Now on to the main Stats page.

Kevin
© BandToBand.com
Mapping the Rock 'N Roll genome since 2005