Forums / Feature Request / shuffling the main page

shuffling the main page

ben_stumpf · 2 replies

shuffling the main page
ben_stumpf
17 years ago
Jul 29, 2006 - 2:56am
Is there a way that there could be an option to have a random 3 albums come up on the main page and maybe add a button so you can do that, for all users. I remeber when i started researching for this site, i would get a lot of ideas for things to research when i would see a new 3 albums on the front page. Even now, almost a year and a half later, I still will get a new idea of things to look for when i see a new 3 and it often makes me go and check those entries to see if the info is correct.
Yes And No
Kevin
17 years ago
Jul 31, 2006 - 10:03pm
It is possible to shuffle those in rapid succession but when I had that working for a bit things started getting really nasty with the databases as well as server load on the machine. Since the front page is accessed often, computing new 3 step links becomes really intensive for the site and I am very wary of allowing that to happen again.

As a poor man's substitute, don't forget about the Random Link generator in the Create Map box. I still tool around with that periodically to see what stuff pops up. I'd suggest hitting that as much as you'd like for inspiration.

Kevin
···
ben_stumpf
17 years ago
Aug 1, 2006 - 12:59am
Good point. I had forgotten about the random search tool. That works for me
© BandToBand.com
Mapping the Rock 'N Roll genome since 2005