Forums / Feature Request / list of members

list of members

ben_stumpf · 9 replies

list of members
ben_stumpf
18 years ago
Apr 3, 2006 - 1:36pm
Is there any way that you could make it possible to view a list of all the members that were in a group that is in the DB. What i mean is that when you click on a band, it would be good to see a list of all the members, much like you see a list of all of the albums. perhaps make a button that says, "View all members" or something like that. I think this would be a much easier way to see all of the people who were in a group without having to click on each individual album. perhaps we could even show all of the different line-ups. This to me would be useful for groups that have a large discography with a bunch of different members, like Hawkwind, or even all the J Church albums that were just added. This is also an easier way for people visiting the site to see who was in the group and could quickly see if there is someone or a line-up missing.
···
Mark
18 years ago
Apr 3, 2006 - 9:49pm
···
bgzimmer
18 years ago
Apr 4, 2006 - 3:28am
In that thread Kevin wrote:

"I've actually been working on a page that will display a chronological history of a band will full line-ups for each release which when completed and online should handle this sort of situation for you."

One possibility for that sort of display would be like what they have for bands on <http://www.classicwebs.com/> - a chronological series of lineups with associated albums. That might also allow "shortcuts" for bands with lots of albums in the db <cough *Beatles* cough>... You could click on each distinct lineup to see which albums are associated, rather than having to see each and every album at once.
Chronological
Kevin
18 years ago
Apr 4, 2006 - 3:55am
Well, I used to have that chronological page listing for bands but it failed to pass the peer review process, although I still like it:

[bandtoband.com]

I could reduce it to a ClassicWebs style page if there is a consensus about that.

Kevin
···
pkasting
18 years ago
Apr 4, 2006 - 5:35am
I still would much prefer the sort of information on www.tartareandesire.com, where there's a simple list of members, followed by the date ranges they played.
···
ben_stumpf
18 years ago
Apr 5, 2006 - 2:24am
I would also like to see something simple, although, what kevin made for the j church line-ups is impressive, it may be a little hard to follow and a little complex. But a simple listing of different line-ups and the albums they appear on would be fine and maybe easier for everyone to look at.
Miserable peers, then ...
Matt Westwood
18 years ago
Apr 5, 2006 - 7:47am
... I thought it was excellent. Even if the general consensus (concensus? sp) is that it *isn't* excellent, it's still a work of art and anyway, it's better than not having it at all. I wondered why it was never followed up. IMO this sort of thing would make this site *THEEEEEE* Rock Reference Tool In The World.
···
ben_stumpf
18 years ago
Apr 7, 2006 - 2:48pm
I don't disagree with you, it really is impressive. I think for the majority of people visiting this site they would find it confusing, but maybe both could be implemented with an option of viewing it one way or the other
In The Works
Kevin
18 years ago
Apr 7, 2006 - 9:34pm
I'm going to try and make a ClassicWebs style chronological listing with an optional super list that I've already implemented. That should appease all parties involved.

Kevin
···
ben_stumpf
18 years ago
Apr 7, 2006 - 10:05pm
Excellent
© BandToBand.com
Mapping the Rock 'N Roll genome since 2005