Instruments

tonym · 3 replies

Instruments
tonym
18 years ago
Dec 1, 2005 - 2:13pm
I know this will mean a lot more work, but why not catalogue which instruments are played by each artist (include 'vocals' as an instrument). If we search for any artist we could see all the instruments he or she has ever played and if we search for an album we could see who played what on that release.
Wheee!
Matt Westwood
18 years ago
Dec 1, 2005 - 3:36pm
Yep, I wholeheartedly support that idea, but I suspect that (a) it would be a lot of work at the database end of things to do this efficiently, and (b) there will be a *lot* of complaints from the people entering the data ... For a start, every single album will need to be researched all over again ...
···
pkasting
18 years ago
Dec 1, 2005 - 5:05pm
I strongly vote against this. I think it provides less value than other things we also don't list, like tracklistings. I am not interested in being AllMusicGuide nor in having data as wildly inaccurate as theirs, which is what would happen on many albums where we have little data (seems like the majority of them...). Also bands list this sort of information completely differently, with some just giving a main instrument for each member and some giving everything anyone has ever touched.

To me "do one thing and do it well" is a good credo and I can't see how providing instrument listings helps do the main feature of the site.
···
Python
18 years ago
Dec 1, 2005 - 9:17pm
I'm with PK on this one. I don't think it adds anything to the site. There are enough sites out there that do provide that information. We should stick to linking bands.
© BandToBand.com
Mapping the Rock 'N Roll genome since 2005