Forums / Feature Request / Good for darts ...

Good for darts ...

misterpomp · 4 replies

Good for darts ...
misterpomp
18 years ago
Jul 24, 2005 - 9:20pm
but slightly surprising to find a string on this site ending with a double! In trying a few random links, I got this (sorry: I uploaded it to my space so pictures etc all gone)

[mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk]
···
pkasting
18 years ago
Jul 26, 2005 - 7:56am
That IS weird. Maybe the "random" feature really picks random albums, but then displays the names of the bands? Can't see how that is correct otherwise.
Random Weirdness
Kevin
18 years ago
Jul 26, 2005 - 5:30pm
PK is correct. The random feature links albums, not bands, due to the nature of how the program works. When you link a band to another band it is based off of a pool of albums trying to connect to a different pool of albums (band 1 albums to band 2 albums). Since the random link feature can be used very quickly very often, to keep things speedy on the server I wanted to only have pool 1 and pool 2 to have a single album. However in the time I've spent writing this I've figured out how to ensure that band 1 and band 2 only have a single album in each pool without any taxation on the server so I'll try implementing that shortly.

Kevin
Scratch That
Kevin
18 years ago
Jul 26, 2005 - 11:02pm
Actually it isn't real easy to do what I said I was going to without unnecessarily taxing the server (multiple database queries) so we'll just keep it as it is for now. Think of it as a bonus treat for getting a random link that ended in a double.

Kevin
···
pkasting
18 years ago
Jul 27, 2005 - 12:52am
Why not just say "The link between 'Album Name' and 'Album Name'" or something like that? You don't need to actually change how you pick the random links, just how you present them -- as if someone had keyed those albums into the "create map" function.
© BandToBand.com
Mapping the Rock 'N Roll genome since 2005