Forums / Feature Request / Facebook likes for map page li...

Facebook likes for map page links

markdeadfall · 13 replies

Facebook likes for map page links
markdeadfall
13 years ago
Oct 2, 2010 - 9:54pm
I think it would greatly promote this site. A Band to Band facebook app would be awesome too.
At Some Point
Kevin
13 years ago
Oct 10, 2010 - 12:20am
I'd really like to push B2B out there, via Facebook and all its features as well as becoming an authoritative source for Wikipedia (so many of their band pages are flagged for reference deficiencies). Right now that work is on the bottom of the ToDo list as there are still a number of issues I need to resolve on the code side. For example the the linking program hasn't been updated to the new caching structure that is in place, which is a big project to switch over. Never fear however, all those things have been registered and will eventually happen.

Kevin
···
Python
13 years ago
Oct 10, 2010 - 8:26am
If you want some help with the coding, I'd be happy to help. On the other hand, if you'd like to do it all yourself, I understand because I would want to do it all myself if it were my site :)
Code
Kevin
13 years ago
Oct 11, 2010 - 9:02pm
Python,

Yeah, I'd like to keep the main site code under wraps if only so I don't get lost with other changes to it. Plus the site now sits on my work's servers so there's security issues there as well.

However, if you can think of an interesting Facebook, iPhone app, etc usage for B2B and want to work on the front end API to ultimately interface with the B2B back end, that might be interesting.

Kevin
···
Python
13 years ago
Oct 12, 2010 - 9:07am
Ok, we can have the standard 'like' stuff on the b2b site - that's not that much work. I already posted that in this forum over a year ago. But if we want a FB application we need a good idea.

I'm not sure if this is even possible, but what about an app that takes a random band from the FB user's "Music Likes and Interests" and shows the path between that band and a band from a random FB friend his or her favorite music.
···
ben_stumpf
13 years ago
Oct 13, 2010 - 6:30pm
Would it be possible to make it so it can link all of the bands in a persons likes or interests to one another? Of course this could only happen if all the bands were in the tree already. But it would show people that the bands they like are maybe more connected than they think.
···
Kevin
13 years ago
Oct 14, 2010 - 4:58pm
Python:
I've always wanted to wait in adding Facebook "like" links until we could have added sound samples because of the instant value that adds for people who see their friend "likes" a band and wants to see what they sound like. It's nice that now Amazon has a system we can use so now it's a matter of linking up everything we can and then I'll start moving on the Facebook buttons.

Ben:
That's not a bad idea, I just don't know how to would be able to display that link between the bands a user "fans." We could try just one-to-one connections of bands (that Python is talking about) however two things:

1) The current B2B linking system has not been updated, which is another thing I need to get done (I've had to wait for some server upgrades which have just recently gone through). Now it's a big process to get the new system in order.

2) I don't know if FB allows a third party (us) to access a person's fan list. This is something I'll have to look into eventually.

Kevin
···
Python
13 years ago
Jan 6, 2011 - 9:17am
Very nice Facebook integration BTW. I assume there's some sort of service running that automatically posts to the Facebook wall once a day?
Yep
Kevin
13 years ago
Jan 29, 2011 - 12:58am
I've been tailoring a script that pushes a latest live release to FB every day. I've done a great deal in tailoring the script so that it favors albums that have sound samples and then tries to use submissions by those users with the fewest featured releases on FB. I'm trying to make sure that everyone has a release that gets to be featured on the FB page.

Kevin
···
Python
13 years ago
Feb 4, 2011 - 7:10pm
100 Facebook fans, woohoo!!
···
bgzimmer
13 years ago
Feb 21, 2011 - 1:07am
Love the Facebook script, but I wonder if the connections can match the album lineup, rather than the overall band personnel. This seems odd:

Nine Inch Nails's 2006 release "Every Day Is Exactly The Same" was recorded by the members: Trent Reznor. These artists also featured in the bands: Option 30, Exotic Birds, Jakalope, Slam Bamboo, and 1000 Homo DJs.
···
pin_punk
13 years ago
Feb 21, 2011 - 9:51am
bgz - but Reznor was the only member on that particular NIN release and he was in all the other bands listed, so the connections do match the album lineup. Or am I missing something?

The only (very minor) problem I can see is that since he was the only member it should really say 'This artist...' (singular) rather than 'These artists...' (plural), but I suspect that's horribly difficult to implement.
···
Python
13 years ago
Feb 21, 2011 - 11:36am
<< I suspect that's horribly difficult to implement >>

You're joking, right? :)
···
bgzimmer
13 years ago
Feb 28, 2011 - 1:16am
Whoops, sorry, I thought the list included non-Reznor bands. Never mind.
© BandToBand.com
Mapping the Rock 'N Roll genome since 2005