Forums / Feature Request / [ ] DuckDuckGo bangs

[ ] DuckDuckGo bangs

Bloopy · 3 replies

[ ] DuckDuckGo bangs
Bloopy
10 months ago
Jul 3, 2023 - 9:17pm
The search engine DuckDuckGo has a thing called bangs, where you can type an exclamation mark followed by a short code of numbers/letters, and then the search typed beside it goes directly to the website for that code. Some music websites are integrated, eg.:

!rym for RateYourMusic: [duckduckgo.com]
!discogs for Discogs: [duckduckgo.com]
!mb for MusicBrainz: [duckduckgo.com]
!mab for Encyclopaedia Metallum: [duckduckgo.com]

The code !b2b isn't taken yet so it'd be great to try and get it. Problem is the BandToBand search doesn't yet work with a query string. Would it be possible to get something like the following working, even if just for the specific purpose?

[bandtoband.com]
···
bgzimmer
10 months ago
Jul 4, 2023 - 3:09pm
Speaking of search, it would be great to have the Firefox search-engine extension working again. (I can't find the old forum posts about that.)
···
Bloopy
3 months ago
Jan 20, 2024 - 6:29pm
I realised you did the redirect thing where a band page that doesn't exist any more redirects to a search, eg. [bandtoband.com] redirects to [bandtoband.com]

So I've just requested a DuckDuckGo bang now using the pattern [bandtoband.com]

No major issue if you do end up changing the URLs as there's a way to request updates to existing bangs. I do wonder if you may prefer to use the old/localized search only for these URLs. Otherwise a link pasted online could see web crawlers following the link and burning up the quota faster, eg. if someone links to a band page somewhere and then the band is disambiguated later.
···
Kevin
3 months ago
Jan 22, 2024 - 11:02am
That's totally fine to have set up that search. It would take a great deal of tweaking to force the local run search based on that parameter (although not impossible). What I need to do is get off of Algolia and get an advanced local search engine running. I'll have to think about the best way forward from here.

Kevin
© BandToBand.com
Mapping the Rock 'N Roll genome since 2005