Forums / Feature Request / Center of the map

Center of the map

ajweitzman ยท 1 reply

Center of the map
ajweitzman
18 years ago
Aug 11, 2005 - 3:56pm
I think it would be cool to be able to see which band and which album is in the "center" of the map you've created here. I would define that as the band/album with the least "Maximum degree/album distance" value. If there are multiple bands/albums that all have the same value, use the band/album with the least "Average degree/album distance" value.

It could be computed each time a new band was added, or once daily, or something like that, and linked to from the front page.
Centrality
Kevin
18 years ago
Aug 11, 2005 - 5:05pm
I'm definitely doing some statistical research on this sort of thing currently. Right now there are two ways that I know of as how to define centrality. The first is to see the lowest average degree/album distance which to my knowledge is Queens Of The Stone Age.

Another way to define centrality is "betweeness" or in other words to try and find which band is the most traversed through when linking any two other bands. At this point I do not have a good way to measure that but I've been reading up on a great deal of social network analysis / graph theory / etc and hopefully I'll have a method at some point (I've already got an idea).

I'm presently working on a full statistics pagethat will hopefully be online before too long that will have a number of these figures to check out.

Kevin
© BandToBand.com
Mapping the Rock 'N Roll genome since 2005