Forums / Feature Request / alternate artwork

alternate artwork

ben_stumpf · 3 replies

alternate artwork
ben_stumpf
18 years ago
Apr 9, 2006 - 5:07am
would it be possible to create a feature that allows you to view alternate artwork to an album? For example, let's say an album comes out on vinyl and cd at the same time, but each format has different art. The right thing to do would be to show both covers. This is true for the Descendents album " 'Merican" the cd is blue and the vinyl cover is red. This would also be true if something came out on picturedisc. The way I would like to see it done is display the proper art, or in the case of vinyl and cd, show the cd art just because there would be a larger pressing of those, but when you click on the album to view it, it would show both images.
I would also like to see this for re-releases that we wouldn't normally add because most of the time they have the same line-up. we wouldn't list a line-up or anything, but show the alternate art and the release date. This would also help if say a band like Korn, god forbid, gets into the DB. their "Issues" album had like 5 different covers, all released at the same time. The most accurate way to show this would to be to include all of them.
···
Mark
18 years ago
Apr 9, 2006 - 11:25pm
Another great feature suggestion. Kevin and I have been talking about this one for a while and it's on his big list of things to do. Poor guy.
···
scott
18 years ago
Apr 10, 2006 - 12:57pm
For the record, i think this would be a nightmare to implement. First, who wants to go through everything already in the dB and add the alternate artwork? Second, i like the idea of having a band's page be complete, and this would guarantee that there would almost always be something missing. Finally, what about the covers that had some sort of handmade element? Does this mean we have a page with 500 different covers for a pressing of 500?
···
ben_stumpf
18 years ago
Apr 12, 2006 - 1:01pm
I was thinking more like what i said about the descendents album.If there are two completely different looking covers they should also be added. and for re-releases, like George Harrison's concert for Bangladesh and things of that nature. i wasn't suggesting that we take every slight change in art work into account like the Less Than jake album "Losers, Kings..." there were a bunch of different pressings that had very small variations of lettering. I would like to see this feature more for things like picture discs and different countries covers for the releases. i agree that it could get messy, but not if we set limits on it and can come up with a set of rules.
The best thing about this feature would be for people to be able to understand what artwork goes with what version of a release.
© BandToBand.com
Mapping the Rock 'N Roll genome since 2005