Forums / Feature Request / A weakness in the dB

A weakness in the dB

misterpomp · 8 replies

A weakness in the dB
misterpomp
17 years ago
Jan 6, 2007 - 9:19pm
At the minute if we turn up a piece of info about an artist's name (as opposed to a band or a release) - it goes into a forum and maybe does or doesn't get corrected after validation and then it just becomes part of the name record. That makes it kind of hard to review later or take into account when further research turns up something new or potentially contradictory. Should we have artist records with evidence in them ,particularly for 'real names'?
···
Mark
17 years ago
Jan 7, 2007 - 4:50am
Usually I put the source info in the notes for the artist's earliest album in the database. But that doesn't necessarily make it easy to find, for a variety of reasons.
···
misterpomp
17 years ago
Jan 7, 2007 - 9:45am
OK - there was also another use I came across - disamibuation - it's sometimes hard to find how we knew two same name people aren't the same.
Notes Search
Kevin
17 years ago
Feb 12, 2007 - 11:18pm
I'm trying to make a concerted effort now that I have a little bit of breathing room to go back and address some of these long lingering issues. Does the album notes search take care of this problem. I'd imagine that noting the name change in an album's notes should be enough for the search mechanism to pick it up.

Kevin
···
misterpomp
17 years ago
Feb 13, 2007 - 5:55am
Yes. That search allows you to find what you need. The concern I had (still have? not sure) was almost structural - that personal notes about the artist belong with the person - not a random album that happens to be when / where we found the issue. But the search works.
···
bgzimmer
17 years ago
Feb 13, 2007 - 2:12pm
It would be great if the "Search Notes" feature covered the queue as well. That would make it easier to ferret out collabs that need to be collapsed, for instance.
Done
Kevin
17 years ago
Feb 19, 2007 - 5:33pm
I've added the searching of the queue notes alone with the standard notes for the "Search Notes" feature. Good times.

Kevin
···
bgzimmer
17 years ago
Feb 20, 2007 - 3:18am
Fantastic, thanks.
···
misterpomp
14 years ago
Jun 21, 2009 - 9:08am
Apologies - I know this isn't going to get looked at any time soon but I still regularly (and more and more as disambiguation contiues to get more difficult) feel this is the biggest win we could have - so that each artist has his own data. Eg I just found this morning that Phil Pickett of Sailor was born in Germany not the UK. So I've changed the (UK 1) for a (DE) and logged that in the only album we have featuring this artist. But somebody else later may well find this, reasonably think it an error, not find the source I found and, if we by then have 15 entries featuring this guy, simply reverse it because they'll never find that note. And I know we can search album notes but they are getting overcrowded too - if you're looking to find if a new Chris Smith (US) is not any of the current 8!! Chris Smith (US) we have - that's no easy task to trawl through...
© BandToBand.com
Mapping the Rock 'N Roll genome since 2005