Forums / Announcements / Statistics Page

Statistics Page

Kevin · 15 replies

Statistics Page
Kevin
18 years ago
Sep 3, 2005 - 4:38am
I've put up a page with more in depth statistics, you can find it on the link in the Statistics box. There are more stats coming but if there is anything in particular you'd like to see let me know.

Kevin
Interesting ...
Matt Westwood
18 years ago
Sep 3, 2005 - 8:21am
I'm approaching the finals of my maths degree and one of the exams I have in October is graph theory. So, nice one!

BTW I was thinking about which band has most immediate links, and I wondered if it were Soft Machine. Thanks for clearing that one up.
···
Python
18 years ago
Sep 3, 2005 - 8:26am
I love statistics, very nice!
···
pkasting
18 years ago
Sep 3, 2005 - 8:36am
Somohow I now seem to have random dashes in the upper right corners of the Statistics and Latest Additions box, and "View All Statistics" has no leading dash and is left-justified.

Something is goofy.
···
pkasting
18 years ago
Sep 3, 2005 - 8:43am
Thanks for the stats page BTW; interesting. The only question or request I'd have is that maybe on some things you note how many "ties" there are. For example, I suspect there are multiple distance-28 links (partly because the Atheist page tells me so), but the All Statistics page makes it look as if there's exactly one. If listing all is too cumbersome, perhaps listing one and "(and 3 others)" would be OK, or something.

Oh also I seem to remember reading a note at page top about "always working with band distance and not album distance" but of course some statistics are one way and some another (that graph diameter one is album, for example...), so the note seems bogus. And anyway, if you don't have every album by a band, then your band interconnections aren't any more "known to be true" than your album interconnections (assuming any lineups ever change), right? So that seems like sort of a confused explanation of things.
Edits
Kevin
18 years ago
Sep 3, 2005 - 6:34pm
PK,

You're right about that leading paragraph, I had forgotten about it. It's been reduced. I'll look into the longest link listing as well. Do you still have that dash problem on your page? If so what browser are you using?

Kevin
···
pkasting
18 years ago
Sep 3, 2005 - 7:14pm
Yes, I do still have the problem. Firefox 1.0.6, Windows XP SP2, 1600x1200.
Dashes
Kevin
18 years ago
Sep 3, 2005 - 8:26pm
I'm running the exact same thing right now and don't have the problem. I've also tried it in IE, Mac Safari and Mac Firefox. Can you email me a screen shot? Does anyone else have this problem?

Kevin
Only in the forum
Matt Westwood
18 years ago
Sep 3, 2005 - 10:37pm
... it's all right everywhere else. I think it's a problem of window width or whatever.
···
pkasting
18 years ago
Sep 3, 2005 - 11:13pm
Yes, I failed to realize and note that. Everything looks fine on the front page, but once you go into the forums and the "account info" box appears, things are goofed up. Still need a screenshot?
Still don't see it
Kevin
18 years ago
Sep 4, 2005 - 3:38am
I think I need that screen shot, I still don't see the problem even in the forum and with the account info box. Weird.

Kevin
···
pkasting
18 years ago
Sep 4, 2005 - 8:44pm
I don't know CSS syntax, sadly, but could this be because in box.css you have DIV#updateLatestLink instead of DIV.updateLatestLink? What it looks like to me is that the "View All Statistics" and "View All Additions" items, which are set to updateLatestLink, are not clearling left, so the initial "-" in those gets placed to the right of all the updates in the box -- then the <A> that follows cannot fit in the right side of the box, so it drops down below everything else. This explains both the standalone dash in the upper right part of the box, and the lack of centering of the text at the bottom. The "Random Link" and "Bands | Albums | Artists" links don't use updateLatestLink, but rather have their own inline CSS, do this doesn't happen. And on the front page, the CSS is all contained in the html page instead of included from box.css and other places, and the CSS that's there doesn't have the "#" instead of "." in "DIV.updateLatestLink", so it doesn't show up there.

Suggested fixes: replace "#" with "." in several instances in standalone CSS files; make front page and forum pages do the same thing w.r.t. including external .css files vs. including all the CSS in the html page; make all centered "- Text -" links at the bottom of boxes use the same style instead of doing things two different ways.
Caching
Kevin
18 years ago
Sep 5, 2005 - 5:59pm
Interesting that your box.css has:

DIV#updateLatestLink

when in fact the file contains:

DIV.updateLatestLink

It seems that your browser has a cached copy of box.css with the outdated version of that file. You might have to clean your browsers cache to get the new version of the file.

I'd love to be able to have the forums and the front page operate in a similiar fashion when dealing with the CSS files but unfortunately the forums are a stand alone application that I spent way too much time trying to integrate into the main page, or at least operate in a similiar fashion, and it didn't work out. For that reason, with regards to this case, I had to handle the CSS files in a different manner. I realize that the formatting within the actual HTML is not uniform when it should, sometimes I get ahead of myself and do what I can to get things online as fast as I can, but the problem still lies I believe with an old cached version of box.css for you. Try cleaning that out and let me know how it goes.

Kevin
···
pkasting
18 years ago
Sep 6, 2005 - 3:49am
Did a shift+reload and things on the forum page seem fixed.
Well, well ...
Matt Westwood
18 years ago
Sep 6, 2005 - 5:36am
... it seems to have fixed mine as well - your doing it, not me, I never touched it ...
···
pkasting
18 years ago
Sep 6, 2005 - 9:21am
Probably your browser cache expired and it updated automatically.
© BandToBand.com
Mapping the Rock 'N Roll genome since 2005