Forums / Announcements / Solo Artists: It's Going To Ha...

Solo Artists: It's Going To Happen

Kevin · 4 replies

Solo Artists: It's Going To Happen
Kevin
18 years ago
Aug 16, 2005 - 5:56pm
I never thought I'd say it but Mark and I have also come to a consensus on solo artists to allow them into the system as well. I'm going to have to re-write all the Rules now it seems but it must be done. The basic idea for solo artists, whether you like it or not, is this:
Solo Artists are one member bands. Period.
Solo Artists will not appear in the Bands page but will be accessable everywhere else.

There it is. I hear there's a blizzard in hell right now.

Kevin
Aaargh...
Python
18 years ago
Aug 16, 2005 - 6:03pm
Goddamnit! Do you realize how much of my time this is going to take?

Maybe I should stop submitting stuff until that user interface is implemented. Or at least until the last mail I sent is entered into the database. There are probably ten of my mails waiting in your queue :)

Anyway, good thing you're allowing solo artists now.

Oh yeah, does this mean Brian May & Friends is eligible for inclusion again or am I pushing it now? And I do mean including Eddie Van Halen and the others, not just Brian May.

Does this also mean "Paul Gilbert & Jimi Kidd" is a valid band now or should it still be "Gilbert/Kidd"?
I don't wish to appear curmudgeonly ...
misterpomp
18 years ago
Aug 16, 2005 - 7:10pm
... but that's worse than what went before. 'Dave Lee Roth' was by any sensible definition a band which had taken its singer's full name. By a quirk of choice of name, it could not Bon Jovi itself into the dB but hey-ho, that was the rule and we lived with it. Now, 'his' debut solo album gets in but still no Sheehan, Vai et al .....
DLR
Kevin
18 years ago
Aug 16, 2005 - 10:11pm
Feel free to put the full measure of responsibility on David Lee Roth for that one. He only has himself to blame.

Kevin
···
pkasting
18 years ago
Aug 17, 2005 - 2:14am
Hey, it may not be what I wanted, but I consider it progress, so props to you.

I agree with misterpomp that quite a few bands named after a single member are "real bands", if you look at their membership rosters. Alice Cooper, for example, at least for awhile (don't know about recently). However, I will consider it partial victory to at least be able to get solo artists in now, and perhaps later be able to add the other "band members". I'm not sure how you came to the conclusion that that was logical, but... whatever :)

At the point when you DO start listing the other members of eponymous bands, then I think it would be appropriate to begin listing them in the "Bands" section.

Actually this does make me consider whether it is worse than what came before (as misterpomp says), as this will result in the addition of what I would consider "corrupt" data in the database, which is worse than no data. Hmmm.
© BandToBand.com
Mapping the Rock 'N Roll genome since 2005