Forums / Announcements / Oh, I'll Say It

Oh, I'll Say It

Kevin · 2 replies

Oh, I'll Say It
Kevin
17 years ago
Dec 1, 2006 - 8:38am
If anyone happens to stumble across whomever is sitting behind the IP address: 24.94.101.43 feel free to beat that person soundly about the head. Jackass McGee or whatever his name is felt like trying to copy the entire site for his own personal use and started to sink parts of it due to the stress load. I hope they can read this because the forums are the only place they'll ever have access to again. Thanks for blowing up my entire night.

Kevin
···
scott
17 years ago
Dec 1, 2006 - 1:49pm
Brutal. I have no idea how someone would even start doing that, or why.

Can't people get a server that generates a different IP address each time they log on?
IP's
Kevin
17 years ago
Dec 1, 2006 - 7:24pm
Most people are running DHCP at the home/office which has the internet service provider given them a "dynamic" IP address every time they turn their computer on. In reality it is usually the same IP address or something very similiar. In this case the guy has been running this site copier since yesterday afternoon and it is still going on (although all the web pages he gets are just blank). What's really stupid is that if he were able to copy a single page once every second, it would take

60 seconds/minute
60 minuts/hour
= 3600 seconds/hour

8297 band pages +
18060 album pages +
23144 artist pages =
49501 pages minimum to dowload

49501 / 3600 = 13.75 hours to download the site at a minimum

It would actually take longer given bandwidth and downoad speed issues, plus cache refreshing etc. Does this guy not think that someone wouldn't notice over those 13+ hours that something fishy is going on.

I'm gong to try and implement some extra strict site access proceedures so this guy doesn't even get a chance to ask the server for a web page. Sweet, there goes another day...

Kevin
© BandToBand.com
Mapping the Rock 'N Roll genome since 2005