Forums / Announcements / Live Recordings

Live Recordings

Kevin · 6 replies

Live Recordings
Kevin
18 years ago
Jun 30, 2005 - 6:31pm
We are no longer going to try and avoid official live recordings. There seems to be no harm in including them so Rule 3 has be reduced again to reflect that change.

Kevin
Oh good
KateUK
18 years ago
Jun 30, 2005 - 8:53pm
I never knew why that rule was there in the first place.

Bootlegs I can understand.
···
pkasting
18 years ago
Jul 1, 2005 - 7:39am
Rule 3 still says "...defined as a studio production...". This suggests that live recordings aren't welcome. Perhaps "...a studio production or official live recording..."? Or are there bootleg or fan-made records that would still let through?
Valid
Kevin
18 years ago
Jul 1, 2005 - 5:04pm
Valid point about the new wording of Rule 3. I've truncated the two sentences to be:

"An official recording is defined as a studio production or official live audience recording released publicly under the band's name or featured on a compilation. Bootlegs are illegitimate and never count."

Kevin
···
pkasting
18 years ago
Jul 11, 2005 - 1:24am
So does this mean that official VHS or DVD recordings should now be included as well? There are quite a number of bands I've submitted who've released live DVDs, for example.
Video
Mark
18 years ago
Jul 11, 2005 - 1:35pm
Kevin and I were just discussing this on Friday. Video releases that meet the requirements of Rule 3 can be included, but they have to be music recordings (as opposed to interviews). And because the key aspect is the music, we're only interested in video releases in which the visual and audio aspects are in sync. For the most part, this will allow video releases of live performances but disallow video releases of MTV-style music videos in which a band pretends to perform live or acts out a previously recording studio track.

We're still working out the details, but that's the gist of it. One of the goals is to avoid the tricky situation in which lineup A of a band is in the video but lineup B recorded the audio.

Discuss.
Video
Mark
18 years ago
Jul 15, 2005 - 8:50pm
I just recently added a video release by the band Green Jello (later reissued by Green Jelly after the band changed its name), the first video release ever added to the family tree.
© BandToBand.com
Mapping the Rock 'N Roll genome since 2005